Sometimes you get to a point where you just no longer need a credit card. In those instances, you might be very tempted to proceed with canceling your card. However, before you choose to cancel your card you need to be mindful of some factors.
Many people use credit cards, but sometimes they can feel that a particular card they own doesn’t suit their needs anymore. Instead of soldiering on with the card, they choose to cancel the card and look for other options. Here, you will read about how you go about canceling your AMEX Credit Card cancellation in India.
In this post, I will explain to you how to cancel your American Express cards. I will also provide you with some tips and tricks to think about before you pull the trigger on canceling a card.
How to Cancel Your American Express Credit Card
Call the number on the back of your card and ask to speak to a representative. If you don’t have your card on hand, call customer service at 800-528-4800. Write the name and ID number of the representative in case you have to reference it later.
- Go to the Amex website.
- Log in to your online account.
- Find the live chat icon in the lower left-hand corner of your screen.
- Click Chat to start talking to a customer service representative.
- Once connected, let them know you want to cancel your credit card.
How To Close Or Cancel Amex Credit Card
American Express, or simply Amex, has a short and clear cut procedure, which every individual looking to cancel or close their card can follow. Here’s what the process looks like:
You will need to send a written request for cancellation to the following address:
- American Express Banking Corp.
- Cyber City Tower C,
- DLF Bldg. No.8, Sector – 25
- DLF City Ph-II, Gurgaon – 122002.
Also, the request should include your card, which should be cut up in pieces so that no transaction is possible through the card. The termination request is only processed once the bank receives the cut cards from your side.
Will canceling my American Express credit card affect my credit score?
Yes, canceling your American Express credit card will affect your credit score. That’s why you should be strategic with your timing. If you plan to apply for a loan, wait until you’re approved before you cancel your card.
But if you generally have a good credit score and low utilization, closing your card will have a minimal impact.
Things To Keep In Mind When You’re Cancelling Amex Credit Card
Here are a list of things you need to keep in mind and do before going ahead with cancelling your AMEX Credit Card:
- Avail all your reward points: Before filing a cancellation request, you need to check if you have any unclaimed reward points. Also, if you do, make sure to use them off because once you put in the closing request, you will not be able to avail them.
- Clear the outstanding amount: The credit card company does not entertain any cancellation requests unless all the outstanding dues are cleared. This doesn’t just include the card you use, Any dues on a supplementary card should also clear and should be cut and sent to the company.
- Cancel all automatic payments: People tend to map their credit cards to make some automatic payments. For instance, they sign up on streaming sites and other services and allow for monthly subscriptions to be paid automatically. If you have any such payments on your card, make sure to cancel them. As an unexpected billing during the cancellation procedure will complicate and delay the process.
- Ask for a confirmation letter: When you send in your cancel request, make sure to ask for a confirmation letter. Most card companies offer these letters, but it is better to be on the safe side and ask for confirmation and tell them to include the effective date on which the cancellation will be done.